NVIDIA Shield TV

Anyone got/used/or thought about getting one? Mines just been delivered!

It’s a lot more smaller than I had imagined!!

Will report back later once set up.

I have NO idea WTF this is for :joy::joy::joy:

The aesthetics make me think that the designer’s inspiration was, “What is the kind of thing that Pythagoras would wank to?”

@Leepants https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/shield-tv/

If anyone is looking for one… linky…

£181 - that’s quite pricey… buuutt… does sound pretty awesome - all streaming in one box including Prime.

Does it handle nowtv @VirulentPip ?

Would be nice to play some games again on the livingroom TV. What’s the controller like?

I shall let you know in a couple of hours @Jester ! The fact that it also has Chromecast Ultra built in is awesomeness!! That’s £70 as it is, so I’ll be selling mine (the Chromecast that is)

@Jester in regards to NowTV, there’s no app on the Google Playstore. However, it is capable of casting via phone app. But I cannot check playback as I do not have any packages.

Little bit of testing done this afternoon. My TV does have a “Game Mode” to lower input lag. I did notice some with it off yesterday, this could have been a network problem though as it’s hard to tell. On loading screens it does recommend using “Game Mode” if TV has one for a better experience.

Anyways here’s two videos.

I remember to turn the volume up about 7mins in. My bad.

Casting NowTV to the Shield via an android phone works perfectly fine.

Two issues I have run into, which is well known. Is that there’s no refresh rate auto switch with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video etc, so 24p will output at 60 unless manually change in the settings of the shield. But then 60 will play at 24 unless change back.

Plex and Kodi have auto switch options built into their apps, loads of people have asked for this to be a system wide feature, so it’ll likely come to future OS updates.

Another thing is lack of colour space switching, with a HDR TV the recommeded HDMI setting is for REC.2020. But SDR files will not change to REC.709. This isn’t a problem for me as my TV is more than capable of displaying decent image SDR REC.2020. Also not an issue if you don’t have a HDR display…

Other than those two slight issues, it’s great so far. Android 8.0 update is rolling out as well, so will only get better :slight_smile:

Pipples - whats your chromecast build? Can normal live tv be watched?

Tar!

This is the Chromecast I have - https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/tv/ultra/

It’s also built into the Nvidia Shield, so I have no need for it.

List of Compatible “TV” apps - https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/tv/ultra/apps/

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand if you sell it - how much for? :wink:

@Leepants Need to check postage costs, but looking at £35 before postage, shouldn’t come to more than £40 total.

Lemme know, pleeeeeeeeeeeease, as I may well have it for a mate :slight_smile:

Fankooooooooo

@Leepants If I selected the right thingy as small parcel, delivery comes to £4.45 for 1st class or 2nd class for £3.95 (both signed for and cover of loss up to £50)

SEND IIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT!11!!!

O and paypal details, kplzthx. I prefer not to know yer bank details… :wink:

Had a complete and utter fucking nightmare setting this up as a Plex Media Server…

Started off going quite well, plugged in my 64GB usb stick to use for the database as this feature was recently added to help the 16GB model sell (Plex Database would fill the internal storage quickly)

The next day I tried checking how much space was left on the usb stick, but was welcomed with “Calculating” for ages with it not populating. Was advised to transfer the database back, format the drive and reformat as adopted storage again to then transfer back. However a low storage on internal popped up, I had to cancel the process which in turn fucked up the database as it was fragmented across internal and usb.

Got back on the nvidia shield forums to find people suggesting on of the officially listed compatible usb sticks, rush to Currys to get one (twas a Sunday and close to closing) After performing a factory reset of the shield I plug the new 128GB upto 150mb/s usb stick in and set up as adoptive storage. Set up the plex server and start gathering the required metadata… This was going slow… Very slow… But I left it going, wake up in the morning with no server, restart shield and it’s back… Okay cool glitch in the matrix…

Two hours later “You have lost connection to the server” … FFS.

Factory reset, try the 128GB as adaptive storage and the 64GB for the Plex Server. Wake up next morning no server.

I then receive the latest Android 8.0 update, think to myself YES this is it… Rebuild the database bit my bit, as to not overload it… 36 hours later it’s all processed…

Sandisk USB - 0bytes

YOU WHAT?!?

Restart and it comes back as usual and the database restores… Same thing happens the next morning…

Losing my mind right now, I factory reset to 8.0 fresh, whack in the 64GB only and rebuild the entire database in around 5hours… WTF a slower and older usb is quicker? EH?!?

Plug the 128GB into my PC to test, try a few small files with no issues at all… HMMM Find a read/write testing software to try. Started off at around 75MB/s however moments later plummeted to 300kb/s… Yeah it’s fucked!

Friend asks me why don’t I get an SSD to use for it and I’m like meh I’ll just use the 64GB. After thinking about it I decide to take out the 500GB Evo 850 in my PS4Pro and put into my PC, take out the 250GB Evo 840. Purchased a Sata to USB 3.1 adaptor for £10.99 on Amazon. Set up the Plex server YET AGAIN… Everything processed in under 4 hours and has been stable for 3 days now :smiley:

Am still not sure what this is haha what are the benefits

It’s a 4K HDR Android box powered by Nvidia. Enables you to use apps and games from the Google Play store as well as games from Nvidia, be it streamed via internet “GeForce Now”, purchased and downloaded to the Shield or running from your PC with compatible GPU then sent to the shield and TV.

It also doubles as a Plex Media Server/Client… Runs Kodi too. Plays just about anything thrown at it video and audio wise inc DTS:X and Dolby Atmos passthrough.

Edit - Chromecast Ultra built in too.

It’s pretty insane what it can do considering the size of it.