Intel i7 8700k £120 off

Just spotted this on Amazon a few mins ago - if anyone is fancying a new high end build the i7 8700k is £120 off right now, down from £440 to £320 - its the 6 core / 12 thread monster

@Jester if you would be so kind as to update this with an affiliate link if you have one? I’m on my laptop so haven’t got the amazon links saved on here!

mmmmm awesome chip - and great price… wish I had the cash.

Changed the link - thanks for the headsup :slight_smile:

I know that being part of the gaming master-race, we think that i5 and i7’s are the best… but hell - this is a bit tasty:

That’s a 3.6GHz quad-core (4 thread) chip for £98! It’s got a TDP of 65w - which is bloody low… so if you were looking to build a home NAS or media center, you could probably find a passive way to cool it… meaning no fan noise, with fantastic processing power. It’s 8th Gen so its 14nm tech too. So for a good gaming chip - it ain’t bad too! Bargain.

Np buddy :slight_smile:

Oh that is a nice find! Would be great in a htpc / retro gaming couch machine too… the temptation is strong!

Still waiting on them to fix all these vulnerabilities on the HW level before upgrading. Then again nothing wrong with my 4770

As in Spectre and Meltdown?

The only thing with those two is that you need physical access to exploit them, and if someone has physical access to your pc it’s not secure anyway!

That is actually not true from what I have been reading unless this is new info.

These are local attacks: Both Meltdown and Spectre are local attacks that require executing malicious code on a target machine. This means that these attacks are not (directly) drive-by style remote code execution attacks – think Nimda or Code Red – and that systems cannot be attacked merely by being connected to a network. Conceptually, these are closer to privilege escalation attacks, a class of attacks that help you get deeper into a system you already have access to.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12214/understanding-meltdown-and-spectre

However, it is possible to launch the exploit through a web browser too - which I was unaware of

With that said however, researchers have shown that they can perform Spectre-based attacks using JavaScript, so it is possible for a web browser to pull a malicious JavaScript file and then attack itself in that fashion

I’d only seen attacks done on machines that a user already had access to, and physical access at that - but apparently it’s technically possible to exploit spectre through a browser now too. Although they can only read from memory, they can’t execute any code

These are read-only (information disclosure) attacks: Along with not directly being remotely exploitable, even if Meltdown and Spectre attacks are executed on a local system, the nature of the exploit is that these are read-only attacks. That is, they can only read information from a system. They cannot directly force code execution in the OS kernel, in other virtual machines, or other programs. These sort of information disclosure attacks can still be devastating depending on what information is leaked – and there is always the risk of using that information to then chain it into a code execution attack – which is why they’re still concerning. But the real risk is in hostile parties using these attacks to steal information, not to control a system.

The real risk is to shared systems, although it is still a risk nonetheless

Yep the web browser one I was referring to. If it is possible the russian mafia will exploit these. But then again I’m sure there are easier attack vectors to use.